Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The world is my fuse

On one of my recent angsty Facebook status updates, a friend told me I have "interesting things to say and a varied interest base" so should do a blog. The first remains to be seen, but I do have a lot of interests, many of which can be uploaded by me and downloaded by you. I'll start with that.

Deeper Than Inside. I bit this title from a Rites of Spring song. This band represents the best of what I love about punk. Desperate, urgent, hopeful, defiant, confused, and convicted. All at once. I've probably put "In Silence/Words Away" on every mixtape I've ever almost made for a girl who bummed me out, only to listen to "Remainder" and snap out of it.

They hit self-conscious introspective and manic exuberant in a way that resonates as much for me now in my mid20s as it did my senior year of high school when I first heard it.

You can buy their studio output here: http://www.dischord.com/
Link to a decent recording of one of their few live sets below.

Rites of Spring - WMUC 1985

Photobucket

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rsdmu4

1 comment:

  1. I just realized I've run by Dischord House dozens of times and never knew it. I always thought it was somewhere in Rosslyn, but nope.

    Absolutely right. I listened to this album almost daily for about a year straight, then brought it down to only once a week for another year or two.

    ReplyDelete